Quick Login:

Heroine far from being hero in Bollywood: Kareena

Comments  Comments [ 18 ]    By India-Forums.com Staff | 16 March 2012 | 6:05pm

kareena kapoor

Vidya Balan's success story has given actresses the hope for a brighter tomorrow in the Indian film industry. But they have a long way to go, says Kareena Kapoor adding that she will fight for equal "pay cheques" in filmdom.

The 31-year-old shared her side of the story in a talk about "How Does a Heroine Become the Hero?" at the India Today Conclave 2012 here Friday.

"I was in Los Angeles sometime back when I got to know that 'Salt' was actually written for Tom Cruise. And Angelina Jolie was actually the second choice, it wasn't Brad Pitt or anyone else. In India, there's no such choice.

"It's always between three or four Khans or other male actors. I guess female actors are there for just dancing with them. We have to stand behind Shah Rukh and Salman (Khan) and say, 'Hey! I'm here too, give me something to do.' And the paychecks... what Salman gets and what I get... let's not even get there," said Kareena.

She is said to be the highest earning female star in Bollywood, and reportedly demanded Rs.8 crore for Madhur Bhandarkar's "Heroine". But Kareena still doesn't consider herself a hero among all heroines.

"I don't think I'm a hero because all the films like '3 Idiots', 'Ra.One' and 'Bodyguard' that made Rs.100 crore-Rs.150 crore, their producers and all the three Khans took home their money. What am I left with? 'Chhammak challo'?

"I don't get a pay cheque as much as them. I am not on the same platform as them. But I am going to fight for it, and hopefully one day we will get there. But I do believe that god has been kind. Somewhere my hard work has been recognised, and I am also glad that there's been a stellar performance by Vidya Balan and she proved to be the hero of 2011 (with 'The Dirty Picture')," she added.

The year awaits a power-packed performance by Kareena in "Heroine" and she says: "I am giving it my very best."

"And for a change it is fun not standing behind or beside Shah Rukh or Salman," she quipped.

Copyright  IANS

User Rating  Rating(12 Votes)

Views  4553

Bookmark and Share

Go to top

User Comments

Join Bollycurry

If You are a member of India-forums, Then You can also log in here.

Quick Login

• Roopal_TiaRa
    Date: 3/17/2012 12:34:50 PMRoopal_TiaRa

proud to be ur fan bebo
    love u

• TheRoopsy
    Date: 3/17/2012 8:35:44 AMTheRoopsy

she has all the guts to say what is right...claps!!!!!

• DiorRouge.
    Date: 3/17/2012 6:59:13 AMDiorRouge.

I love youuu Kareena (L)
    Good luck for Heroine, I'm sure it'll be a blockbuster! :D

• ..KaJenDelena..
    Date: 3/17/2012 3:25:43 AM..KaJenDelena..

Woah. LOL! Not a Kareena Fan but wow, she has some guts. Well said Kareena. I loved that comment... "what am I left with? Chammak Challo?" LMAOOO!

Its the 21th century and yet India refuses to break their 20th century attitude. Things need to change. Like Now.

• -Gauri-
    Date: 3/17/2012 12:48:41 AM-Gauri-

I am not a Kareena fan, infact, I am a Karisma faan but I agree with wat Kareena hz said!! There is no value of the actresses in the industry compared to the 90s...Now, actresses above 30 r considered old by the actors but I am glad tht Kareena Apoor and Vidya Balan are in the industry, evn aftr crossing 30!! Can't wait for my fave actresses Karisma Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit to make a comeback and-along with Kareena and Vidya Balan- prove tht actresses 30+ still hv tht "dum" and aren't old!!2012-03-20 01:21:06

• shanak.hot
    Date: 3/16/2012 8:39:59 PMshanak.hot

She's is so right. Loved everyting she said. I like Kareena no matter what people say

• -CreativeSoul-
    Date: 3/16/2012 7:08:19 PM-CreativeSoul-

She made me proud with this article love u kareena and im sure u will be the hero of 2012 <3

• rani-lucki
    Date: 3/16/2012 5:22:47 PMrani-lucki

this is why i love kareena-- beauty, brains n talent with the right attitude n guts...
    she totally is right in wot she is saying :-)

• -DE-
    Date: 3/16/2012 5:05:07 PM-DE-

Why do actressses compete?

• misspearl77
    Date: 3/16/2012 4:18:37 PMmisspearl77

WAH KIYA BAT HAY KAREENA GOOD LUCK BEBO...

Related Videos