Quick Login:

'Jodi Breakers' cleared of plagiarism charge

Comments  Comments [ 9 ]    By India-Forums.com Staff | 22 February 2012 | 11:30am

bipasha basu and r. madhavan in jodi breakers movie

"Jodi Breakers" has been exonerated from charges of plagiarism levelled by the producers of the French film "Heartbreakers", which was said to have inspired the Hindi movie releasing Friday.

Apparently the lawyers appointed by the producers of "Heartbreakers" saw "Jodi Breakers", which has Bipasha Basu and R. Madhavan in the lead roles, and came to the conclusion that there were no overt similarities between the two films.

Sounding relieved, the film's director Ashwini Chaudhary said: "Their lawyers have concluded that there are no similarities between their film, and ours. The fact that they came to this conclusion comes as no surprise to me.

"I was aware that there were no similarities between the two films, other than maybe the similar-sounding titles. I don't know who started this whole allegation against our film. This is not the kind of publicity we were looking for."

Chaudhary feels there must have been provocation to press for the plagiarism charges.

"Why else would they have suddenly chosen to accuse us of plagiarism without seeing a single frame of our film? After the charges, I had given them a synopsis of my script. Then I had offered to let them read my script in my office provided they first signed a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). But they refused. It was almost as if they were determined to prove we had copied their film, no matter what the truth."

Relieved by the developments, Chaudhary said: "It is very fashionable and lucrative for people to jump in during the time of a film's release. It creates so much unnecessary tension for any project. There has to be a way to put an end to this troublesome practice."

Copyright  IANS

User Rating  Rating(4 Votes)

Views  3870

Bookmark and Share

Go to top

User Comments

Join Bollycurry

If You are a member of India-forums, Then You can also log in here.

Quick Login

(1)
  (10)
  (3)

• Page 1 of 1
  • topnews
    Date: 2/22/2012 3:04:29 AMtopnews

The Piya Tu singer will make a comeback in Prasar Visions Jodi Breakers, a film which has Madhavan and Bipasha Basu in the lead and is directed by Ashwini Chaudhary.A calm and composed Helen says, I am the granny of the show.

• samicute
    Date: 2/22/2012 12:44:02 AMsamicute

• Laila2009
    Date: 2/21/2012 11:58:02 PMLaila2009

"So far, I have not seen any films that are copied LINE BY LINE from Hollywood. So, I think you are making a baseless argument but I may be wrong bcus I haven't watched every single Bollywood movie ever made."

Mmm, that setence does make me wonder where you really stand - seems you're on both sides of the fence. Plagerism does not require a "line for line" copy and you don't have to watch every Bollywood film to know if they've been copies ;-). Actually Hollywood is well aware of the Bollywood film industry today and that it makes money of their ideas and fails to give them credit for their work. That is stealing.

I never said that Tamil films never copied Hollywood, I said that Hollywood never copied them.

It is good to hear you do not support the stealing of intellectual property and the way to stop it happens when Hollywood and the west continue to sue the behind of some of these talentless Bollywood people who have not got an original idea of their own. It will then force them to turn to people who can write and pave the way open for those with talent.
    Here is a link of copies
    http://www.bollywoodtrends.net/2009/04/bollywood-and-plagiarism-list-of.html2012-02-22 01:35:18

• Mohabbateinn
    Date: 2/21/2012 9:36:10 PMMohabbateinn

@Laila- dear, my post was meant to mock our hindi film industry. I wasn't "defending" the copying of ideas. So far, I have not seen any films that are copied LINE BY LINE from Hollywood. So, I think you are making a baseless argument but I may be wrong bcus I haven't watched every single Bollywood movie ever made. Hollywood is not unaware of our Bollywood films, and if there was ever such a case in history where movie is copied line by line scene by scene..Hollywood's billion $$ industry will NOT let it slide.

Also, you mentioned that Tamil films aren't copied from Hollywood..well I just did a bit of research and a bunchhh of copied films came up ex. I am Sam became Deiva Thirumagal..and Tenali is a frame by frame copy of hollywood film, What About Bob. [b]

If Tamil producers are paying financial fees to hollywood writers, so are Bollywood producers. It may not be published in international papers, but it would be ignorant to assume they are not being paid.
    On one hand you are saying you have not ever seen a Tamil film copied from Hollywood..then you are saying THEY GIVE CREDIT. This is contradicting.. lol
    [b] I do not support the stealing of intellectual property.. but like I said in my earlier post, what factors in most is what the AUDIENCE WANTS TO SEE. The only way to bring this into notice would be to STOP watching bollywood films that are "highly inspired." A boycott is the cure.. but who is ACTUALLY willing to do this?
    2012-02-21 21:38:31

• Laila2009
    Date: 2/21/2012 7:02:36 PMLaila2009

Correction. While Hollywood does copy ideas from other films - Tamil we cannot say since I don't know of a single film that is copied - they DO give credit and pay the original writers a finanical fee for the idea. You can take ideas from other people but you must give credit where credit is due and pay the fee for their idea and not have the "attitude" to pass it of as your own work.

• MAANVEER3
    Date: 2/21/2012 6:46:25 PMMAANVEER3

Hollywood gets their "inspiration" from other cultures and movies too. They take from tamil and korean movies all the time. So bollywood doing it is not a shock. no one gets credited for their original stories so I don't think its fair to point fingers at only bollywood. Just continue to watch movies you like and if you don't like it, well that is your own opinion. as for the creative teams we just gotta wait and see what they come up with in the future. They can't succeed without failing atleast a few times

• Laila2009
    Date: 2/21/2012 6:22:31 PMLaila2009

Vanshika, You should be hired as a defense attorney for these producers, directors and writers who have blatantly stolen ideas from western writers and passed it off as their own. These people are not inspired by western films but take scene for scene, line for line. I can least you a dime a dozen movies that are such terrible attempts to copy that they insult the film twice over - first for stealing then for doing such a bad job of it. The fact that they have got away from it for so long is amazing. Now that western writers etc have got wind of what is happening and willing to sue, let us hope this paves the way for writers who are truly talented to get a break. <br/>
    I am truly disappointed in Indian people for taking the easy way out - heck, production teams even steal even from Pakistan! If Pakistan, Bangladesh etc try to be original, then we need to buckle up and demand that our producers, directors and writers do a better job too!2012-02-21 18:23:49

• Mohabbateinn
    Date: 2/21/2012 12:41:35 PMMohabbateinn

Literally speaking, if you can think about any topic..most likely there is already a film about it. Hindi films are always being "inspired" by South and English films.. so it comes as no surprise. However, keep in mind that the concept can be the same..but its vision and execution can be totally different. Intellectual property theft (idea) is a crime .. and 80% of the films in hindi cinema would be considered plagiarized. Directors have always been let go easily in the past..and this theft will continue to happen. However, the westernization in India is only due to the adoption of western culture..which comes from the west. So, it's no surprise when you guys watch similar movie content in bollywood..taken from hollywood. If bollywood doesn't take ideas from hollywood..we would be stuck in 21st century watching crappy saas bahu movies. But, yes I totally agree..its HIGH TIME these bollywood directors give due credit to hollywood for their "inspiration." When bollywood comes up with ORIGINAL ideas with movies like Dhobi Ghat and Aarkshan.. u people don't even buy its DVD..let alone watch it in theaters. If their ORIGINAL ideas aren't garnering $$$ than obviously bollywood will steal from hollywood..cus it seems like that is the only think Indian population wants to watch and accept.2012-02-21 12:44:18

• Mahika24
    Date: 2/21/2012 12:15:24 PMMahika24

It's sad to see creativity die, but that's sadly the reality of Bollywood nowadays. It has come point to the point that "inspired" really means "plagiarized." I'm just glad that even though this particular movie isn't
    plagiarized, producers have started to speak out and take a stand. It's time Bollywood stop stealing and give credit to where it's really due.2012-02-21 12:15:51

• sweetscented
    Date: 2/21/2012 8:04:33 AMsweetscented

honestly i won't be surprised if they did plagiarize the movie. our indian movie makers are not creative anymore!!!!
    and isn't the movie poster somewhat similar to MR. and MRS. SMITH?????????

• Page 1 of 1